Babywearing has amazing benefits for your baby (and you!). Here are 14 reasons why you should consider it:
- Attachment: Babies are more securely attached to their caregivers due to a sense of security and trust and become independent earlier.
- Comfort: Babies cry less, especially in the evening hours.
- Sleep: Babywearing helps to organise their sleep/wake cycle. The carrier helps to block out unwanted stimuli, e.g. bright lights.
- Sooth: Carriers can calm an overstimulated baby quickly, effectively and without your arms getting tired.
- Transitioning: Babies adapt more rapidly to changes in their environment, especially premature babies.
- Survival: Baby’s heart rate, breathing and temperature stabilise and remain within normal limits faster and for more extended periods.
- Development: Babies spend more time in a “quiet, alert” state, which is most supportive of learning.
- Stimulation: Babies get fantastic vestibular (movement) and proprioceptive (body position) stimulation, which is helpful for calming, the development of balance and a sense of their bodies.
- Exercise: Caregivers can go for a walk while baby sleeps (no bulky prams).
- Breastfeed: You can feed your baby discreetly and block out distractions.
- Chores: Catch up with sweeping, vacuuming, dusting with two hands.
- Play: Allows you to spend time playing with an older sibling, with both hands.
- Assistance: Helps to lessen the burden of caregiver depression by increasing bonding.
- Transferable: Mom, Dad, Granny, Babysitter, Nanny can all wear your baby!
Read our expert article for more expert advice on babywearing - Everything you need to know about babywearing