Babies need you round the clock, and it’s a big adjustment to cope with short bursts of sleep.
Here are some suggestions on how to cope:
- Cut out caffeine, nicotine and alcohol in the late afternoon and evening.
- Exercise with particular reference to pelvic floor exercise.
- Stick to a bedtime routine for both you and your baby.
- Try to grab a 15-20min snooze during the day as this can improve alertness.
- Avoid falling asleep in chairs or on the couch. Try to sleep only in your bed.
- Avoid heavy meals just before bedtime
- Keep a notepad next to your bed and unload your thoughts onto the pad until morning.
Most importantly, ask for help and be gentle with yourself! This stage will soon pass.